BriffaLife – Pre-Election Party
The team put together a fabulous pre-election party for some friends and colleagues last night.
It’s been a tough campaign marred by terrorist attacks and you would have good reason to have had enough of politics, but I still enjoy the election process. Here’s my top 6 reasons
- Elections train you in all night telly watching. I pulled my first all nighter in 1974. It turned out to be a cliff hanger. I haven’t looked back since.
- We get reminded that Britain is a top country in an eccentricity poll. Remember Ronnie Carrol who stood under the banner ‘Eurovisionary’ for Hampstead and Kilburn in 2015. He got 113 votes even though he had been dead several weeks by election day. Even sadder he had put himself up in hope of getting no votes and making it into the Guinness Book of Records. RIP Mr Carroll.
- It’s good for my Geography. Every election I am amazed by names of places I could swear I had not heard before. Check out Na h-Eileanan an lar in Scotland or The Wrekin in Shropshire On top of that you get to peek inside village halls, civic centres and gymnasiums up and down the county.
- Even though teachers and policeman are all looking so young these days the presenters on the election night special are reassuringly familiar and middle aged. So elections can make you feel young.
- Elections teach you that nothing lasts forever. In this country at least there will be another chance to vote soon enough.
- And this one is new for 2017 – it’s a fabulous excuse for an office party!!
Thanks team for making it such a fun night for all our guests.